Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 26 June 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien



Yesterday I saw La Vie en Rose, the life story of french singer Edith Piaf. Marion Cotillard plays the lead role, and she is absolutely stunning. The film itself is overshadowed by Cotillard's incredible performance, which should gain her an Oscar nomination if there's any justice in Hollywood. Which there isn't, of course.

Anyway the point is that Olivier Dahan, the director, chose to use the original recordings of Piaf singing in the film, and to great effect. She really did have a truly original voice which only got better with time.

Here is the real Edith Piaf back in the day:

3 comments:

Parma Violet said...

Nuts to the Oscars! They're not remotely important.

Édith Piaf is incredible. I'm going to wait for La Vie En Rose to come out on DVD before I see it, though. I'm currently a bit poor...

Joel said...

That video is amazing!
No one rolls their Rs anymore.

Parma Violet said...

Sigh. Yes they DO, Joel. You just mingle with commoners.

Anyway Sam, I don't think Amnesiac lacks in beauty at all ... but I agree it's very disjointed, and kind of feels like just a collection of songs put together rather than an album as a whole.
But, you know .... I like it ... :(

And I do love Pulk! I seem to be part of a minority, but I think it's amazing! Especially that heavenly chord at 2:15 (yeah, I got that memorised :D). Man, I could listen to it on loop....