Powered By Blogger

Saturday 28 April 2007

Modest Mouse in my house - album of the year so far part ii



Following up yesterday's endorsement of Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha, the second part of my album of the year so far award goes to Modest Mouse for We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.

Joined by ex-smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Modest Mouse's fifth studio album is their best produced to date, more accessible and moving away from the rawness of their earlier work. Some people may mourn this - I think it can only be a good thing, as I haven't been able to stop listening to this album for weeks now. Isacc Brock's lyrics remain razor sharp and the tunes are spot on.

Modest Mouse: March Into the Sea

Meanwhile, all of my friends will be very relieved to hear that today is the Cricket World Cup final, meaning an end to 6 weeks of men in coloured pyjamas hitting a ball with a stick of wood. Still, only 3 weeks until the first test match . . . .

x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one Modest Mouse song, which is from 'Good News For People Who Love Bad News', and it is 'Bukowski'. I have never liked Modest Mouse very much, but I really like that particular song, and when I heard it, I went and listened to more Modest Mouse because I thought I had been mistaken. Then I found none that I liked. So, the point to all this is: Can you suggest to me some Modest Mouse which you think I would like considering all of the above, please?
xo

sam said...

you could download the mp3 'march into the sea' above, and if you like that go out and buy the album 'we were dead before the ship even sank'.
if you like that, go out and buy 'good news for people who love bad news' which contains bukowski.
if you still want more, return to this blog and i will advise futher.

end.