Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 29 August 2007

A Puzzle Wrapped Inside an Enigma


Occasionally in this crazy world, a rock band pop up who confuse and perplex the masses with their musical stylings. The current group of popsters that the kids are, apparently, going mad for are Biffy Clyro. Typically late off the mark, I have just got hold of 'Puzzle', the new album from the Scottish rockers, and I just can't decide what I think of it.

At times they sound like a hybrid of The Liars, Queens of the Stone Age and System of a Down. Which is fine by me. But then a few tracks later, they start to venture into emotion-filled Stained/Idlewild/Jimmy Eat World territory. Then it goes a bit Blink 182/Busted. All of which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it confuses me. Also, they all have different lengths of beard.

It is an impressive feat, to display such variety within one album. It took Manic Street Preachers the best part of 10 years to go from angry, smashy, cutty rock rebels to moaning, weeping, hoovering jesses. That's right. JESSES.

Anyway, I can't make up my mind. So you'll have to do it for me. Fly pretties. Do my bidding.

Biffy Clyro: Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies

Biffy Clyro: As Dust Dances

1 comment:

Joel said...

new challenge: try to link that beard photograph in every post.