Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 10 October 2007

Rain and Sun


The world and his wife did a collective poo this morning as Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' hit inboxes around the world. You know my thoughts on the band - added to the fact that everyone else has already blogged their reviews [see Alex Petridis' 5 star review] - but here are some words after my first listen.

First of all, it's good. It's kind of unfair to compare Radiohead's albums, because they change with every release, but initially I reckon its definitely better than Hail to the Thief. As Petridis says, Thom Yorke's gimmicky, petulant, word-playing lyrics have largely disappeared, to be replaced with subtle phrases which hint at emotions. This was always his strong point.

Highlights for me are Nude, All I Need, Faust Arp and Jigsaw Falling Into Place. What is really fascinating about this record is that despite the uniqueness of everyone receiving it at the same time, the majority of Radiohead fans come to it knowing 8 out of the 10 songs from the live tour last year.
Nude has been a fan favourite since before OK Computer, when it was titled 'Big Ideas', but they have completely changed it around. The bass takes centre stage, but they've filled it out with beautiful strings, remeniscent of How To Disappear Completely from Kid A.

All I Need does what nobody expects Radiohead to do - sound cheerful and life affirming. Their best songs - 'Lucky', 'The Tourist', 'Street Spirit' - are all gloriously positive songs. They may not be lyrically optimistic, but the music lifts you a higher place [excuse the pretentious wankery.]
Faust Arp is exciting simply because it's a brand new song, and initially sounds a bike like Elliott Smith.

Jigsaw Falling Into Place, formerly titled 'Open Pick', was my favourite song from the 2006 tour. It's urgent, and the crescendo to the final 'You've got a light and you can feel it on your back' is brilliant.
One thing everyone seems to have identified is the drums - they're really noticeable. Phil Selway has always been one of the tightest, most innovative drummers around - see 'Morning Bell' from Kid A - and they do more than hold the songs together here.

There are inevitably some disappointments. For me, 'Bodysnatchers' sounds cluttered and bass-heavy. 'Arpeggi' is not quite as dreamy as it was live. And Videotape is nowhere near as good as it could have been. I think Thom's vocals could use a bit more reverb - he didn't use any on The Eraser, but Radiohead songs suit echoey vocals more.

However, my verdict after 1 listen is that it's a very good album, understated, beautiful and minimal. It's far from the complexities of 'Paranoid Android' and the experiments of Amnesiac, the songs are tighter constructed, there are only 10 of them, and there is very little flab here. The title 'In Rainbows' suddenly seems quite fitting - the album has moments of rain and sun, combining to make pretty colours in the sky.

So there. I'll shut up about them for 5 years or so now. We await the pitchfork review, and roll on LP8.

UPDATE: I gave it a 2nd listen. and a third. and a fourth. and a fifth. I feel like a child at the end of Christmas day who has over-played with his new toy and is now tired and smashy.

x

1 comment:

Parma Violet said...

My lack of blogging about In Rainbows is my form of non-violent protest against the various jerks who all posted their reviews of In Rainbows on their blogs on the day of release as if having a verdict on the album before most of the rest of the world does somehow makes you a better Radiohead fan.

Oh no. I'm simmering it over in my head as and when I feel like it. That's what a true fan does. :P

But just for you, Sam:

- Nude is probably my favourite track.

- At present, I don't think it's better than Hail To The Thief.